Sunday, October 11, 2009

Polar Bears and Penguins

I have found an interesting comparison between computer Operating Systems and bee hives.

Most of it has to do with the people using them.

You see, when people want an Operating system, they have options, based on what criteria they have in mind for their usage.

For example, let's take the "average Joe" that everyone talks about. While the "average Joe" is really anything but average, what he/she wants is to get online, play multimedia, email, maybe hit some games, online and installed, tweet, print pictures from a digital camera, everyday kind of stuff.

Now, is "Joe" a flashy, got to look good while I work kind of guy, or is Joe a "so long as it gets done, I don't care how it looks" kind of guy. Does it have to have all the bells and whistles? Must it be something he can show off to his buddies and brag about how expensive and exclusive it is, thereby proving his level if sophistication and "I'm better than you" mentality?

There are a variety of OS's that will provide just what each type of user is looking for. Windows is kind of the mid-range, get it because it's whats there, don't have to think about it consumer.

There is Apple for the Cadillac through Mercedes crowd who simply must let everyone know they have the money to have less viruses as well as run Windows apps.

Then there is Linux, mostly for the Do It Yourself-er, "I don't need to spend all that money just to do ...", kind of folks.

In beehives, you have same types of consumers. You have the " I just want what everyone else gets" and call it a day buyer. they just want some hives and don't feel like or know how to build it themselves.

Then you have the "It simply must fit in with my backyard decor" crowd who want to let everyone know they are into the latest "save the..." trend and can look good while doing it. They buy hives that will make average price hives seem cut rate by comparison and include all the decorations and accessories you could ever want.

Then you have the Do It Yourself-er who looks at the accessories and designs, thinking how nice they look but "OH MY GOD NO" when they see the cost and figure they can build the same doggone thing for about one fourth to one third the price and be done with it. It doesn't have to look like a work of art to do it's job.

I am one of those DIY guys. I don't need all the fancy decorations and cute accessories. I don't use them most of the time, if ever. As far as I am concerned, as long as it does what I expect it to do, I'm happy. For a fraction of the cost or maybe just the time invested instead of having it done for me.

Linux does what I need it to do. I don't play all the whiz bang games and I don't need the 3D fancy pants stuff. That just slows me down.

I build my own bee hives. For between 30 and 50 bucks, I can have a solid, sturdy weather proof hive that even has an observation window so I don't have to bother the gals inside as often. That's good enough for me and my bees. We aren't out to win any prizes or impress anyone. I am way to old and way too ugly to start caring about that now.

Windows and Mac and Linux all have a unique pace in the world where they work best. Same with all the hives. From the homemade Top Bar to the top dollar "Kerkhoff" derived hives, there is a home and a beekeeper for all of them.

This ridiculous arguing about one OS having to dominate all the others, only one of them being able to be 'the best way' or 'the right way' is missing out on the bigger world where not all people fit into the same user mold. Same as beekeepers, for every 5 beekeepers, you will hear 10 different ways of what is "the best" way to keep bees.

Truth is, "the best" way is the way that works for you, the way you need it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment